The Jimi effect pedal
themusocat
2008-08-10 10:16:04 UTC
Hi all. I know that this Digitech Jimi Hendrix effect pedal has been ou
for a while now and its been getting rave reviews, so, just wondering, i
anyone out there actualy 'Dissapointed' at what it cant do, mayb
expecting a little to much from it. Just thinking of getting one. Also
has anyone tried out this Hendrix software that gets you all the sound
via your computer. Curious to know what its like. And one more, jus
looking at improving on my music collection. Does anyone have an
recomendation on whats worth checking out, anything bluesy or rocky, th
more obsicure the better. Thanks for your time propl

-
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutthemusic.com/group/alt.music.jimi.hendrix
More information at http://www.talkaboutthemusic.com/faq.htm
dash10606
2008-08-10 22:29:01 UTC
has anyone tried out this Hendrix software that gets you all the sounds
via your computer. Curious to know what its like.
I believe you're talking about Amplitube Jimi Hendrix edition from IK
Multimedia. Runs stand-alone or as a plug-in, and MIDI control is
available with the X-Gear option. It has a 'speed trainer' feature
that let's you play along with tracks that you've ripped to your
computer as MP3s or. You can slow down solos and the pitch stays the
same. Great study tool. There are a selection of amps and effects
used by Hendrix and they have saved a bunch of presets that broadly
match sounds on the most popular Hendrix recordings - not perfect but
close in many cases. You will need a powerful computer, but it is
very stable and I'm very happy with the sound.
whats worth checking out, anything bluesy or rocky, the
more obsicure the better.
Had some fun last week with a collection of Hendrix recordings which
has the guitar mixed out and using Amplitube Jimi Hendrix. Think
it's called 'Experience Minus One'.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY
themusocat
2008-08-11 09:30:43 UTC
Thanks for that. Sounds like a perfect way to learn to play songs instea
of having all these tab books lying around, and while having fun to.

-
Elmo' 7#9
2008-08-11 21:36:20 UTC
I haven't tried the Digitech pedal as I have no requirement to get closer to
Jimi's sound
(trying NOT to sound like him is sometimes harder ;=).

I have used some of their other products (I use their BP-50 bass multi-fx)
and find them to be good value.
Also,
has anyone tried out this Hendrix software that gets you all the sounds
via your computer. Curious to know what its like. And one more, just
looking at improving on my music collection.
I'd just like to re-affirm what dash10606 has said about the Amplitube Jimi
Hendrix
software - it's a good simulation of the gear.

The hairs rose on the back of my neck when an Octavia note bloomed into a
note an octave higher (just like the records).

A high-speed PC is only part of the requirement, though...

To use Amplitube in "real-time" (as opposed to applying its effect to dry
electric guitar you've already recorded), you'll need a LOW LATENCY
soundcard, preferably with its own ASIO DRIVERS.

SOME latency is inevitable (it's a result of the time taken to convert your
input signal from analogue to digital, then vice-versa at the output of your
soundcard) but, if you keep latency below the threshold of human perception,
it's not a problem...

When I play by myself, 10 milliseconds of latency is acceptable (any more
and the time-lag trips me up).

When I play in sync to recorded music, I notice a problem with latencies
above 5 milliseconds.

Another point:
The amps and effects modelled are very HIGH GAIN, so any inherent noise in
your sound card or outboard gear will be "amplified" by the software - if
you use a professional soundcard (as opposed to, say, a Soundblaster) you're
halfway there.

You'll need a big amp and speakers to get FEEDBACK out of it, though ;=)

Elmo' 7#9
themusocat
2008-08-15 01:31:32 UTC
Your quite right about not wanting to sound like someone else, as I'm sur
there are millions of 'Clones' out there tying to play and sound like Jim
and God knows who else. I personaly am a beginer at the guitar and kno
just basic things. Maybe for me, getting that 'Sound' is what I need t
get enthusiastic and motivated into playing. I previously had a cheap se
up which sounded nothing more than like a dying cow, which had put me of
playing. I have gotten rid of 'The Dying Cow set up' and have gotte
something else a bit better. I have ordered the Pedal and am lookin
forward to trying it out. As well as getting your own thing together, th
pedal would be pretty cool as a sort of gimmic, to wow and amaze you
freinds, and to just have a bigt of fun in general, while all along no
taking 'Sounding like Jimi' to seriously. Jimis style and technich jus
amazes me and would love an insite into how he does it, hence the pedal
Yep, am looking forward to trying it out, should be a lot of fun

-